Sunday 11 February 2024

Oh Vienna!

Usually when selecting posts from the Facebook Archives I go for the earliest year (one likes to be systematic).  Today only threw up two unused and of interest.  2016’s is shorter.   
But it’s a Sunday so we should all have time for this.
From Facebook Archives ...
11 February 2021
Another one nicked from Hagrid, but somehow reminds me of Drummerman
Drummerman  Ah! The famous Welsh composer...
KingsCameraman  Doesn't work if you can pronounce German names correctly!
McChurch   Nope. Means nothing to me.
Bentonbag  Oh Vienna!
Drummerman  I nearly said that, but thought it might be a bit obscure (Not that that normally stops me...).
Mrs Leftfoot  Um I still don't get it.
Bentonbag  Ultravox
Drummerman  Ultravox
Bentonbag  Two minds with but a single thought!   
Or as my mother used to say "Wise men agree and fools seldom differ."
Drummerman  That’s one way of putting it...
Mrs Leftfoot  Nope..still not getting it.  I might be a LOST CAUSE.
Mrs Leftfoot  I know the song and who sang it but I don't understand the joke
Drummerman  “This all means nothing to me”
Bentonbag  Have a listen
McChurch  YES BUT WHAT DOES THE POST MEAN? WHAT`S THE BLOODY JOKE? AND WHAT`S IT GOT TO DO WITH BLOODY ULTRAVOX? (this is me shouting at the screen)
Bentonbag  What is Arnie's most famous line in a film?
Sing the chorus of the Ultravox song ...
And breathe ...
Mrs Leftfoot  Well I still don't get it either.
Bentonbag  Which? Arnie or Oh Vienna?
Mind you neither are worth the effort so don't blame me (or Drummerman) if you're disappointed when you do get it/them.
McChurch  He says "I`ll be back" right? What`s that got to do with Mozart and Beethoven? Have I stumbled upon a madhouse?
Oh fuckity fuckity fucksie fudd . I`ve written it and now I see it. It`s Haydn ! Of course it is! Where do you get Haydn out of the chorus of "Oh Vienna"? What has Ultravox got to do with Mozart and Beethoven? Or music in general, really.
Bentonbag  "This means nothing to me - OH VIENNA!"
He said it with a long A and a soft K "I'll be baak".
I need a lie down.
Mrs Leftfoot  So let me get this right. He says "I'll be Bach". Ultravox singing "Vienna" is just a red herring.   
Bentonbag Correct. Then McChurch said "Nope. Means nothing to me" to which I replied "Oh Vienna" as per the Ultravox song.
Do you ever wish you'd never started something? Don't answer that.
I'm going downstairs now to watch Wycliffe and knit and/or iron, I may be some time.
Drummerman  Bloody Magnus Magnusson...
Bentonbag  No that was Captain Oates.  And if you're thinking of replying "Not Scotch Porridge or Quaker?" just don't.  Please.  Thank you.
Drummerman  That’s that dead.  You’re a cereal killer.  Back to the Wycliffe...
Mrs Leftfoot  It gets worse. I have been watching Midsomer Murders and got confused!
Drummerman  Yes, it can be difficult guessing who will survive...
Mrs Leftfoot  ha ha ha. It is not so complicated as wondering why Arnie would have said "Vienna".  Talk about being led up the garden path.  Mind, it's kept me amused all day.  I keep thinking about it and giggling.
McChurch No no. Arnie said he`d be Haydn, because when Haydn left Vienna for London, he said "I`ll be back" (In a German accent -this is key) and he was, and he finished some of his most popular concertii back in Vienna.  See?  I`m still not sure what it`s got to do with Ultravox though.  Let’s all ask Ben.  Again. (She`s dead clever).
Mrs Leftfoot Oh of course. Silly me, you've made it so much clearer.
I think we best not mention it to Ben for a while though .
Burney  I'll be Bach
McChurch  Order of the Blue Pipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment