Friday 23 February 2024

Spring Tide


From Facebook Archives

23 February 2023 at 13.27
Yesterday I had an excuse to go down to the coast after taking Ferretfingers to the day centre and indulged myself by driving along to Tynemouth.   
This spot at the end of the pier is special to me.  
Both the granma I never knew* and I came and come here when we need a lift, or just for the joy of it.
The tide was as far out as I've ever seen, you could see the foundations of the pier way beyond the lighthouse.
Mrs Elplates  This is a special place for Mr Elplates and me too. Never seen the tide so low.
Bentonbag  I was very tempted to climb down onto the beach and walk out to the end: but common sense, aged knees, those great big blocks and the drop from the bottom of the steps onto the beach prevented it.
Mrs Elplates  Much better to look at it from above.

*Shortly after I’d come up to Newcastle University I told Mum (in our weekly phone call) that I’d gone down to Tynemouth to the end of the pier.  That was when she told me her mother used to do the same; and how on one stormy day her new hat was blown away and taken by the sea.  

That could have been some hundred years ago, because we lost that grandma, far too early, in 1945.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/oceans/tides

No comments:

Post a Comment