Sunday 14 April 2024

Holy Island Memories

From Facebook Archives

14 April 2017
Last week I was support driver for the Carlisle leg of Northern Cross, an ecumenical pilgrimage that ends up on the Holy Island of Lindisfarne, crossing the sands on Good Friday.  My job was meeting them with flasks of hot water, teabags, coffee, cold water, squash, fruit, biscuits and crisps mid morning, lunchtime, mid-afternoon and any other time the walk met the road.  Also carrying anyone who was unable to walk for any reason.  I had a lovely quiet week in magnificent countryside with lovely people, but took surprisingly few photos.

15 April 2017
I sat here watching courting Eider ducks and drakes.  
This is a special spot and the site of two special picnics.  
The first in the early 80s with 
Ms Eft and Bess Cavalier.  
The second in the late 80s with Phil, The Paganess and Shipskitchen.   
Somewhere I have a photo of the three of them leaning over and looking into this rock-pool.  
It was quite emotional and yes, I did weep a little for lost loves and lives. 
But the daft little Cuddy Ducks cheered me up.
The Paganess  We did have some epic picnics!  Losing more and more friends and family as I age but some were taken far too young.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment