Saturday 2 May 2020

To The Holy Land?


Facebook just threw up this memory from three years ago.

I’ve know my Oldest Best Friend since we were four and a half, and I spent every other Saturday from the age of about seven to seventeen on her parents’ farm – or so it seems.

I’d been a support driver on the Northern Cross pilgrimage to the Holy Island ofLindisfarne, almost forty years after walking it myself.

On Northern Cross I sent my Oldest Best Friend a postcard from Lindisfarne and she sent me this memory:-

Thank you for the post card. I picked it up when we came back from the Farm.
It was a bit scary to find out it was 39 year since your first visit.
It brought back the memory of talking about it with my Mum.
I don't know if you remember the conversation in the kitchen at the Farm.
It went something like this.

B - I'm going to Holy Island at Easter
Mum - Oh that's nice, how are you getting there?
B - We walk there
Mum – It’s a long way
B - We go when the tide is out

It was at that point we found out that Mum thought you said you were going to 
the Holy Land.
 ***
Fester was in the bath when I received the email.
When he got out I asked "Did you hear me laughing?"
"The whole bloody street probably heard you laughing."

No comments:

Post a Comment