Thursday 21 May 2020

More Herbs


I was delighted to find the living herb shelf full in Sainsbury’s yesterday, and picked up pots of Basil, flat and curly leafed Parsley.

When I got them home I took off the outer wrappers and plunged the pots up to their tops in water.  This loosens the roots and the growing medium.  They slide out easier, and with less damage, when wet.

I half filled a rubble bucket with compost and mixed in a good amount of 6X hen’s manure pellets to ensure fertility. 

 




The Basil was planted in an 8 inch terracotta pot, watered well, and is now on the bedroom window sill.   
I’ve given up growing Basil outdoors: it’s a mollusc magnet and they raze it to the ground overnight.

Each of the Parsleys were put in 12 inch pots, watered well, and are now on the Pottisserie where they will catch the afternoon sun; and the eye of the chef when he comes out of the kitchen/back door.
 
While I had the hwyl, I potted on the Naughty Marietta French Marigolds and Night Scented Stock seedlings.
There is a mixed pot either side of the front door (and another reserved for Mrs Leftfooter).   
I’ve also put French Marigolds in the sweet pea planter and near my sitting place by the pond in the back garden.   My Granma grew Naughty Marietta and I think of her and smile whenever one comes into flower.
 
Now the only things waiting to be potted on are cauliflower and larkspur seedlings.
Then we’ll have reached the point in the gardening calendar when “all” I have to do is watering.


No comments:

Post a Comment