Thursday 22 October 2020

Beetling About

From Facebook

22 October 2013 at 21:39 ·

Going in to town on the Metro this evening a gentleman nervously pointed out a bright green insect crawling over my sleeve. 

He was quite surprised when I calmly picked it up, said 

"Oh I think it's a shield-bug" and put it out of the window.

"My husband's an entomologist" I explained.

Bess Cavalier Fester been bringing his work home?

Fay Shield bugs are so pretty too - lucky you!
Bentonbag Bess  - He always brings his work home, I have a garage full of Iceland bags filled with little tubes with creatures in, plus other bags full of bags with 'samples' not yet sorted i.e. mud, vegetation and dead things.
I hope you have no idea how the stench of a long dead shrew (or slug) can pervade throughout the house!
At present his obsession is making a list of every colliery that has ever existed North of the Tyne (nobody else has attempted this - he asked) so we are inundated by replica maps and all car trips are punctuated by "There used to be a pit over there".
Makes a change I suppose from "I caught beetles there" or "I got drunk there" or "that diesel has very pretty fairings"!
I've just read this out to him and his response was
"I can do pits where I caught beetles - there's a few of them."
Bess Cavalier Oh I can imagine the smell.  I've got a strong stomach!  When I worked at the Dental School at University of Newcastle upon Tyne local dentists used to send in packs of extracted teeth - some with abscesses still attached - for the students to do autopsies on - no-one else in the office would deal with them so I had to unpack them and take them up to the labs.

No comments:

Post a Comment