Tuesday 13 October 2020

Of Mice & Men

According to this Facebook post I was feeling fed up but friends did their best to help.
13 October 2015 at 15:50 ·

Have just spent the past two and a half hours helping Thunderthighs write a 500 word essay on "How does John Steinbeck present Curly's wife in section 4 of Of Mice And Men" 

and am looking forward to after tea when I shall be helping him write another 500 words on 

"In your opinion why does Curly's wife behave as she does in section 4 of Of Mice And Men".
His answer being "Because she's a total bitch" - so only 495 to go.
I haven't read Of Mice And Men and I don't think he has either.
He's just asked the pertinent question "Why is it all about Curly's wife?"
I'm thinking to myself "I thought he was doing GCSE English not Women's Studies."
It was much the same last year with The Tempest ....

Henlady Oops. Have you seen the film?

Bentonbag No - he's having problems with the Louisianan dialect and I had to explain to him about lynching and what the KKK did to black men who looked at white women the wrong way (well some of it). 

Quite touched that he consistently types n****r rather than the whole word even though it appears complete in the book.
Not sure I could bear the film because of the LD (learning disability) implications: Mr Bean upsets me.

Henlady Quite.

The Squireen Curly ignores his wife so she flirts with the new hand, I have forgotten his name. 

She is really attractive and attracts the attention of the person the new guy has to look after. that’s about all I remember from year 10 literacy lessons

Kentishlady Isaac detested having to study it,

English Master She is lonely and ignored by all the men due to their sexist attitudes, so she confides in Lennie because he is a "nice fella". She reveals to him her dreams of becoming a movie star, and demonstrates a more sympathetic side than we have seen before. 

Unfortunately, she then makes the mistake of asking him to stroke her hair. .......

Mrs Lasagne Oh how sexist ! Go on Thunderthighs you show them xxx

Pinkitchen When do you have to have it done by? You can get textbooks that will tell you the answers to questions like these!

MsAG* Brings back so many memories! Good luck

Bess Cavalier Sorry, I haven't read the book, or seen the film, so can't help.

Bentonbag Well it's done - and maybe doing two in one day might have given him an idea about actually doing some work. This time I mainly sat behind him and read - now half way through Of Mice & Men.

Mrs Leftfoot Strangely, I happen to have a school copy of this with notes. Not sure how useful it is but I can drop off tomorrow if he might still have use of it?

Bentonbag I'm not sure he'd thank you for it, but I would :) I won't be in because of ferrying him home from College and then Ferretfingers to youth group, but the husband will be.

MrBBC The older I get the more concerned I become about Eng Lit teachers' stance that "This is good" and should be revered. You're made to feel less of a person simply because you really don't like a particular work ("Middlemarch" *shudder*) Discuss in no more than 500 words

 

*MrsAG and Henlady were both taught Thunderthighs at school.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment