Saturday 31 October 2020

We're Back

Did you miss us?

This was the longest the boys have slept in their own beds, without going away, since they were born.

As Wales was out of the question we took a caravan at Cresswell Towers for four nights and explored parts of mid and North Northumbria that are just that bit too far for a day trip.

First on the itinerary was Bamburgh.

Through the dunes to the beach with the Farne Islands on the horizon.


The last time we were on Bamburgh beach Ferretfingers was bowled over by an over-enthusiastic labrador puppy.  He was a toddler and I can't quite remember whether Thunderthighs was in a backpack or in utero. The dog’s owner was a tall young Northumbrian county lady wearing a fur hat, green wellies, Barbour jacket and full of well-spoken apologies.
This may or may not be the first time Thunderthighs has been on Bamburgh beach

This was the first of a handful of encounters, as a small child, with poorly controlled dogs which has put him off them for life.

As normal Ferretfingers lagged behind as we walked North towards the Holy Island of Lindisfarne.

There were loads of dog walkers on the beach and I must say all the hounds were very well behaved and under control.

Suddenly I heard footsteps as Ferretfingers hurried up to me and took hold of my hand.

Then I noticed, striding towards us, a tall Northumbrian county lady wearing an identical fur hat.

I wonder whether he saw her, had some half-forgotten memory of the labrador and came to me for protection.

Mind you, I wouldn’t like to encounter the labrador that could bowl him over now.

Striding North towards the Holy Island of Lindisfarne

 

No comments:

Post a Comment