Friday 15 January 2021

One Cold & Frosty Morning

From Facebook Archive

15 January 2016 at 10:56 ·

The plan for today was to get up fairly early, shower and wash my hair ready for a photoshoot (unpaid but I get a print) at 9.15.   

Firstly himself didn't set the alarm so I was awoken by my mobile crowing at 7.50 (ringtone is a rooster).   

Thunderthighs "I've fallen on the ice in S Avenue, can you come and get me".  

Up, find thick trousers, throw on rest of clothes, boots and warm coat.

Car covered in frost and driver's door lock frozen.   

Thank God for central locking, unlock passenger door and get in.   

Go back into house for a couple of litres of cold water to clear the windscreen (cold water is warmer than ice and thus melts it).   

Turn on max-defrost, open door window to see out, turn on windscreen wipers at full pelt and creep along M Grove and across B Road to S Avenue.  

Finally see figure waving at me.   

He gets in "I've only got a few houses on The Drive to do, then I have to go and get paid."  

Oh great.   

Creep around The Drive, back across B Road, along M Grove, through the estate to C Lane, to avoid the roundabout and having to cross traffic to get into the newsagents’ parking bit.   

He hobbles in with his bag and comes out with money.   

A kind person allows me to reverse out in front of them and home we go.   

To find his father still in bed.  

Or, more accurately, leaning bollock naked over the landing bannister rail asking me questions about Thunderthighs' ankle.  

I was quite restrained in the circumstances and just told him to get dressed and go and look for himself.

It is now 8.30.

So I clean my teeth, brush my hair and put it up, put on smart casual and venture forth, in awful traffic with the sun in my eyes.   

Of course the photographer wants my hair down, so I apologise for it being filthy (it is) but he's ok with it and says he's doing "honest portraits of people with character".   

So I mention Fester’s beard and show him a photo on my camera. "Ooh yess".
Get home at 10, to find Thunderthighs with his foot up and an ice pack, Fester scraping snow into a food bag to replenish the ice pack, The Pastor sorting beetles at the kitchen table and Ferretfingers dancing around in his pyjamas.

Get breakfast and breathe.

Strawangel Bloody hell what a morning!

Bentonbag It's not over yet - there's another hour to go.
MsPM What a morning, hope he hasn't done any serious damage to that ankle, take care all of you, love P xxx
Mrs Bun I want to be in your house! xxx
Cousin Daisy All in a day's work for you bony lass 👼 ☕️ 🚴
Mrs Poet Bloody hell! Are you Ok?
Bentonbag Yes, except Thunderthighs is doing the wounded soldier bit. The swelling has gone down thanks to his Dad's ice pack. Now hot water bottle for healing.
Bentonbag I have now had a bath and washed my hair so at least do not smell
Mrs Lasagne My goodness that's a day and a half Bendxxxx.
Mrs Bun Hope you are well rested now Ben and having several gin and tonics XXX

 

"honest portraits of people with character"

No comments:

Post a Comment