Tuesday 4 May 2021

Muff Making & Knitting Knowhow

From Facebook Archives 

5 May 2019 at 09:16
Thanks to Mrs Quilt for the interesting textured yarns to make this twiddle-muff.   
The brown is lovely and soft for the inside.   
I worked out that reverse-stocking-stitch was the best way to bring most of the shaggy stuff to the right side.
I had the bright idea of making a row of holes (yarn forward knit 2 together, purl next row).
Then I had the brighter idea of sewing on a button for each hole: 18 of the little blighters.  
At least I got rid of a lot of saved trouser buttons (fly, pockets etc).  
If I think of doing that again I shall make far fewer holes.
Mrs Quilt  What are the little brass Welsh ladies?
Bentonbag  Bells.  I rescue them whenever I find one in a charity shop. The brown bit was curling up so I used them to hold it steady for photography.
Mrs Jeremy  This looks great, but not being a knitter myself, I am somewhat mystified by all the terminology such as stocking stitch etc.  My mum didn't knit hence I never learnt that skill.  Also, what is a twiddle muff? Pardon my ignorance here...
Bentonbag  A twiddle (or fiddle if you prefer) muff is given to people with dementia as having one seems to help them keep calm.  Putting your hands inside one does give a sense of security (and keeps your hands warm).  The different textures and things to fiddle with seems to be a sort of displacement activity and helps reduce anxiety.  
I've read claims that some care homes find they use a lot less drugs when residents have twiddle muffs. All I know is people seem to like them.
Also our LD:NorthEast knit'n'natter ladies get a lot out of knitting them, and I get quite a lot of creative satisfaction in finding new and different ways of decorating them.  
Btw thanks, Miss Doozer, for the bits and bobs.
Stocking stitch is alternating rows of plain and purl.  Usually the smooth side is the right(out)side, with reverse stocking stitch the loopy side is the outside.   
Garter stitch is all plain.  
Rib is alternating stitches of plain and purl: single rib is one of each; double rib two of each.
Mrs Jeremy  Thank you for the detailed explanation of both twiddle muffs and knitting terms!
McChurch  Same question here. Interestin` answer, ta.

No comments:

Post a Comment