Friday 10 September 2021

Book List

From Facebook Archives

10 September 2014 at 23:33

Mr Whyte challenged me to list 10 books that have stayed with me in some way and tag people to do the same.
Rules (there are always rules): Don't take more than a few minutes and do not think too hard. They don't have to be the "right" books or great works of literature, just ones that have affected you in some way.  Then tag 10 friends including me so I can see your list.
Here's mine
1. Black Beauty - by Anna Sewell, Bigsister read it to me when I was four and I wept when Jo the stable lad hid his face between BB and Ginger's head when the big house was sold and the Squire and his wife moved abroad for her health.
2. Wind in the Willows - same sister, same age, same effect when Mole found his abandoned home, still does it when I read it now. (Dulce Domum chapter)
3. Where Rushes Grow Green - given to me Bigsister, it's a non-anthropomorphic story of a water vole - I still have it.
4. Jane Eyre - by Charlotte Bronte - started reading it when I was seven but only got to chapter two, gradually read more and more as I got older, finally finished it when I was thirteen, and have read many times since.  My favourite book, and it should be in the feminist library despite being the template for every romance since.
5. Noddy & The Magic Rubber by Enid Blyton - one of the first books I read to myself.
6. Britain's Storehouse - I think this may have originally belonged to my Dad.  All about things in a home which had come from "all over the Empire" and how they were made or harvested - except for the cuckoo clock which was Swiss.

7. Our Faith - my first catechism book given to me by the gentle Carmelite Fr Patrick Geary, beautiful pictures - still on my bookshelf.
8. When We Were Very Young by AA Milne - guess who gave me it - still have it - can still quote bits.
9. Britain's Summer Visitors - a bird book which Grampa and I used to look at together (he died when I was five)
10. Goldfinger by Ian Flemming - my first Bond book, oh the excitement and such wonderful descriptions of food.
That probably reveals more about me than I'd like people to know.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment