Saturday 4 September 2021

Language!!!

From Facebook archives ...

4 September 2015 at 23:27

Newcastle University's email system just quarantined one of Fester's because it contained the word "bollocks".

Currynapper Only one of Fester's?
Sheamus Murphy Balls
Kippa My sister had the US car number plate "bollocks" for quite a while before the State twigged its British meaning
Bentonbag
Yes Curry, surprisingly this is a first. They must have lowered the sensitivity bar because it won't have been the first time he's typed it.  Which makes me think…  
Sheamus: you might know the answer to this. 
How do they decide which words to bar?
Is there a committee - and if so who's on it?  
Does some poor soul have to sit and type them into the system?
How do they choose a person who won't be offended/upset about what s/he is typing in?   
And what about words like balls or tits which have both rude and innocent meanings 
("tits like coconuts but they also like fat balls").  
Can I volunteer?  Or can I volunteer my friend Mrs Lasagne, who shocked me with some of the things she whispered in my ear in a PTA meeting before we landed on "Knits and Bits" as the name for a bric-a-brac stall that had loads of handmade stuff on it?
Kippa: half a century ago Bigsister and a college friend (then in their early 20s) hitch-hiked across Europe to Greece.  They had an early ferry to catch and caused some consternation to a couple of American lads when she asked them "Could you knock us up in the morning?"
Mr Brown  Never mind the testicles.
Sheamus Murphy  Filtering likely to have been outsourced to third party.  Maybe they've installed the school option.  I'm sure Fester isn't the first academic to use such language!
Dulcima Mum told me once that her brother, instead of saying "balls", once, said "Great hirsute male genital appendages" - a possible alternative?
Bentonbag  My mother used to say rowlocks (you have to say it out loud to get the proper effect).  She also, in moments of stress, used to shout "Oh for crying out loud" and I've only recently begun to suspect 

No comments:

Post a Comment