Wednesday 9 March 2022

Cold Caller Baiting #20 What to do?

The phone rang the other morning.
I picked up, there was a satellite delay then a male South Asian accent

“Hello, am I talking to Ms Bentonbag?”
“Who are you?”
“Hello ma’am, I am David and I am calling from BT, British Telecom, which is in charge of all internet activities in the UK.”
“No it isn’t.”
“Yes it is.  Why do you say that?”
“Because I live here.”
“No ma’am, all the internet in the UK is run under BT.”
“No it isn’t.  I do not have anything to do with British Telecom, they are not my internet provider.  I get my broadband from a cable provider that is not BT.”
Then, more to himself or someone with him than me, “Well!  What should I do now?”
“Personally I think you should go away and stop pestering people.”

And the next noise I heard was the dialling tone.

Some friends have suggested that perhaps the scammers use my number as a training exercise.

I’m beginning to suspect they may be correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment