Friday 18 March 2022

The Hyacinth Bed

 


I love hyacinths, for their looks but mostly their scent.

When he learnt this Fester presented me with hyacinths bulbs for quite a few birthday and Christmas gifts.

When they burst into bloom I would put them on the toilet windowsills.  We are lucky enough to have a loo on every floor.  The ground floor lavatory is right next to the front door so it’s especially nice to have something sweet smelling there.  If we had a particularly strong one you could smell it on the landing and in the living room.

But what to do with the bulbs when they finished flowering?

I’m not a good enough gardener to get them up to strength for another year.

So each spring I planted the exhausted bulbs in the front garden, until there was no room for any more.

And now each spring they come up to brighten and perfume our path to the front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment