Saturday 5 March 2022

Knitting Knowhow

There are people who condemn social media and although some horrid things can happen there (fake news, pile-ons etc) one’s friends can often prove to be a source of useful information.

From Facebook archive
5 March 2014 at 11:09 ·  

Crafty friends ( Paganess) following the success of knitted knee caps for her grandma my niece has requested a pair of legwarmers.  Anybody got a pattern they might scan/email/recommend? Please and thank you.

Kentishlady  Many free patterns on www.ravelry.com 
Paganess  Measure the ankle & calf, knit 3" rib for the ankle stocking stitch the rest and a couple of inches rib at the top.  Use round needles, or 4 double pointed x x
Mr Python  I think knitting you own kneecaps is taking self medication and treatment too far...
Bentonbag  The niece is in Australia so ankle and calf measuring may prove problematic.  Should I just do a tube or should the calf be a bit bigger than the ankle?  I'm thinking of using the same number of stitches as for the knee caps but without the bendy bit in the middle.  I had thought about using double ended to save sewing up but I'm never sure when to change onto a new needle - and circulars are so much easier to handle.
Paganess  Totally agree about the circular needles, I got bamboo ones from Tynemouth market, so much easier on the hands!  I would say the top definitely needs to be bigger than the ankle, but that does depend on how swollen the ladies ankles are xx
Bentonbag  She's 29 and a yoga teacher - I don't think swollen ankles are a problem for her (yet)
Kentishlady  This is for dancing leg warmers. size 7 double-pointed needles.
48 stitches in the round, stocking stitch, with 1 inch of 2×2 ribbing on each end.  Cast off loosely.  Double knit yarn.  Can be done on circular needle.  Think size 7 is 4.5 in the modern needle. I don't knit very often since I started crochet!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment