Wednesday 2 February 2022

Knit'n'natter


I’ve been involved with the board of Learning Disabilities North East for nearly ten years, this is how I became a more involved volunteer.

From Facebook archives

2 February 2017 at 19:03 ·

On Tuesday I went with my LDNorthEast hat on to facilitate at the launch of NorthTyneside Parent Carer Forum; making notes on round table discussions about Social Care and Services.
When I walked in I found the Chief Executive Officer and main manager of LDNE discussing Tomorrows, a project for older people.
“Do you knit?” asks the CEO
“Yes.  Why?”
“Well both the ladies who volunteer at our Tomorrows Knit’n’natter group on Friday are poorly and we’ve no one who knows how to cast on.”
So tomorrow, from 11until one, I shall be casting on for older ladies with learning disabilities.
What was that about the willing horse?
The Squireen  Remember to say why before yes.  That way you know what you are letting yourself in for 😺
Mrs Leftfoot  How do YOU cast on? Two needles or one?
Bentonbag  Thumb, one needle and double thickness of yarn
Mrs Leftfoot  What exciting lives we lead. I use my thumb and forefinger, and I "knit" a row as I cast on..

Knit’n’natter is currently the highpoint of my week, there are some real characters in the group, including one workie-ticket, they and my fellow volunteers have become friends.  Over the years we have made and donated blankets to the homeless and cat rescue; trauma teddies to the police, children’s wards and first responders; twiddle muffs to old people’s homes.  And made lots of knitted cuddlies for fundraising at fairs.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment