Monday 21 February 2022

Salisbury

Back in 2019 we used the February half term holiday to visit out newest relation, a great-niece, in Bournemouth and took a trip to Salisbury.
 
21 February 2019 
In May 1956 my family was posted to RAF Netheravon. 
In the September I was born in Tidworth Military Hospital and Christened atAmesbury in October. 
This is the closest I've been to there since the summer of 1958, when Dad retired from the RAF after 24 years' service.

Another in the series "Thunderthighs regards things that are taller than him"
Salisbury Cathedral.
 

A most amazing font.
Water pours from the end of each arm of the cross, yet it is still and silent and magically reflective.
Many years ago I nearly drowned myself canoeing/falling into the Ardeche river.   
That night I looked at my missal and that inscription was the first line I saw.   
Seeing it here (when I was feeling so emotional at an old friend's imminent death) stopped me in my track.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment