Monday 7 February 2022

Two Years On

This is the second anniversary of Ferretfingers broken ankle.
And what a two years it has been
For all of us
For the whole world.
And the next four weeks waiting for the plaster to come off,
The world closed in on us,
And we started to close the world out.
Nothing was the same
Nothing will really be the same again.
To be honest we lead such a homely hermit life that the lockdowns haven’t been that hard for Fester and me.
But for the boys …
Especially Thunderthighs
He doesn’t realise that by now he should be doing more with his life than a paper round and two days a week work experience.
And I worry
Oh I worry
About their future
About my future if my marbles start rolling away like my mother’s did.
About Fester getting older, deafer and more decrepit.
Mostly I can keep up the façade of cheerfulness
Which isn’t for the benefit of, or to deceive, others
It helps keep me going.
But sometimes …
Sometimes …
The mask gets too heavy and slips,
Especially at times like these when those memories come flooding back,
Dragging with them memories of earlier terrible times
And Ferretfingers, all unknowing, wants to celebrate with chocolate cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment