Tuesday 5 April 2022

Auntie Larcombe

From Facebook archives

5 April 2019 at 16:46
My lovely cousin Daisy came round this afternoon to cheer me up.   
She is the oldest of our generation and I am the youngest and she always tells me how much I resemble our maternal Great Aunt Mary Elizabeth Larcombe in appearance, attitude and deed.   
Auntie Larcombe died in 1965 and I only have a vague memory of her.
"Do you know I don't have a photo of Auntie" I hinted.
"Take a look in the mirror, you'll see her."

Now
A little while ago, on my way to Ouseburn Farm, I bumped into cousin Daisy’s brother Simon outside The Ship Inn, .
“Ee, you don’t half look like Auntie” he said hugging me.
 
I’ve no idea why my maternal grandmother Emily Ann’s only sister was known as Auntie Larcombe in our family; like Mum, the cousins refer to her just as Auntie.  
The two sisters lived and were very close to each other all their lives.   Auntie and her husban Stanley Larcome had no children so she was very involved in raising Emily’s.   Cancer took Granma Emily in 1945, and Auntie carried on caring for her children and grandchildren until her own death.  The sisters and their husbands lie in adjoining graves.

A few months ago cousin Daisy visited bringing an envelope full of ancient family photos which had recently been retrieved from her loft.   I offered to scan them, and sent the jpgs to any member of our extended family I thought might be interested.
Amongst the bundle was one of Auntie and Uncle Stan on a trip to The Glen of Antrim.
Also a photo of a young woman who may have been her.

These are the only photos of her we have.

To be honest I can’t see a resemblance.

No comments:

Post a Comment