Wednesday 13 April 2022

Hurty Head

Driving home from an Easter holiday in Wales I turned my head sharply to check behind before entering a motorway and felt a nasty little pain up the back of my neck.  It went away, but the next day I started getting a very nasty pain on top of my head, which persisted all through that Sunday and was still there on the Monday morning, in fact getting worse.   
I managed to get a last minute appointment with my GP.

From Facebook archives...

13 April 2013
Have gone a whole day without painkillers. 
On Monday I had a pain in the head that wouldn't shift and I ended up in the Royal Victoria Infirmary for assessment.  
 They finally got shot of it on Tuesday afternoon with migraine medication and codeine and sent me home with lots of drugs.   
Today was the first day since I've managed to get through without requiring painkillers and no head pain.
My GP just wanted to make sure I hadn't had a brain bleed so booked me into the RVI ("When doctor?" "Immediately"!).   
The consultant thinks it might be migraine (my Dad and sisters did/sometimes get it).   
Personally I think I'd trapped a nerve or pulled something in my neck (it went when I lay down and came back when I stood up again).  
Everyone says it's stress.   
I'm going to have an outpatients scan* sometime and I've had blood pressure, heart, eyes, balance etc all checked and ok.   
Awaiting results of blood test (no news is good news).   
The upside is everyone is being really nice to me and my lovely cousin Daisy has visited twice.
Drummerman  Yay, I know that (lack of) feeling!
Bentonbag  You're telling me kid - it doesn't nothing for the temper - and I got really frustrated because I had a load of post-holiday washing to do and ran out of clean knickers by Wednesday.  And no - none of the males in this house can operated a washing machine, washing line, clothes horse or iron.
Classic from my (young lady) GP "Shall I call you an ambulance, or would you like to drive yourself?"
"I don't think I should drive at present doctor, I might be a tad distracted what with the pain and the possibility of a brain bleed. I'll get a taxi."
Being charitable; I think she meant could someone else drive, not knowing I'm the only driver in the family.
But it did give me pause for thought.

 *The scan revealed I “have a perfectly normal brain”, which was news to a few people.

No comments:

Post a Comment