Thursday 21 April 2022

Lace Advice

Learning to do up your own shoelaces is a mark of independence.
When he was a small child it took many hours of tears and tantrums (his and mine) to teach Thunderthighs how to tie his shoelaces.  In the end I sat on the floor behind him, one arm through and the other outside and around his legs so he could see exactly how it was done.
Even though Ferretfingers has the manual dexterity to take the skin off a bank card, tying shoelaces was beyond him.  Tying any sort of knot is still beyond him.  Fortunately there is now a wide range of Velcro fastening shoes and boots available for adults.
From Facebook archives
21 April 2013 at 11:12

Help and advice please.

Ferretfingers has the opportunity to go on two Duke of Edinburgh camping weekends.  We need to get him a pair of 'stout walking shoes/boots' however he is incapable of doing up bootlaces.  All his trainers/shoes are either velcro fasteing or slip on.  

Does anybody know if they make walking shoes/boots with velcro fastenings?  

If so who and where can we get them from?

Ms Delune  No, but they DO sell self tying shoelaces on Amazon that I rely on with my boys, alternatively you know those toggle thngs you squeeze to tighten- like they have on sleeping bags sacks? Pop them on shoelaces and tuck in. I have some if you want me to pop two in the post?
Mr Mull  I can't comment on their stoutness but this link gives a few velcro fastened walking shoes. If you don't want to order online you might be able to use the model to track some down locally. http://alturl.com/fgkv6
Goddaughter  The self tying shoelaces are fun. I had some when I was little ðŸ˜€
Bentonbag  Thanks all - being the sort of person who throws nothing useful away I think I have some toggles in the sewing/button box
Paddington  I typed Walking Boots Velcro into Ebay quite a lot of results there may be something there suitable.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment