Thursday 14 April 2022

Rhubarb Recipe

Fester loves a trifle, particularly my homemade ones, but they’re such a faff I only do them for high days and holidays.   
Ginger cake makes an excellent bottom layer of a trifle; especially with tinned mandarin segments and orange jelly, made in part with the syrup from the tinned fruit.  Vanilla blancmange (when I can find it) or crème caramel goes next, topped off with butterscotch whip/AngelDelight and hundreds and thousands.
From Facebook archives…
14 April 2020
The last time I made a trifle (Xmas?)  I bought two Jamaican Ginger Cakes, because they were on bogoff, but only used one. The other has sat in the cake, crumpet and biscuit bin ever since.
We have a good crop of rhubarb coming up so today Fester cut some of it, chopped it small and put it in the bottom of a large pyrex dish with a couple of table spoons of white sugar and a table spoon of brown muscovado.  
Then he sliced the ginger cake in three horizontally and put the slices on top, making sure the sticky outside was on top.  
In the oven at 150, so the rhubarb cooked in its own juice, the top went crispy and nothing burned.   
Served with thick but runny custard.   
That was our tea.
McChurch  I would say that sounds absolutely lovely, but I`ve crossed my fingers behind my back.  I can`t stand ginger in any guise, and I need a pound of sugar to the ounce to eat Roobub.  Holy Moley, but the custard sounds nice.
 
Nota Bene Post Script
Tomorrow Thunderthighs and I will be driving up to the Holy Island of Lindisfarne to witness the Northern Cross pilgrims crossing the sands, weather permitting, so there will be no blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment