Sunday, 23 August 2026

Cold Caller Baiting #36 What Register?

From Facebook Archives

23 August 2024 at 20.07
Yesterday afternoon the phone rang, I picked up, there was a satellite delay, then a slightly Asian male voice asked 
"Am I speaking to Miss Benton Bag?"
"Who are you?"
"I am Derek Saunders and I'm calling you from Microsoft about the computer registered to your address."
"And where are you calling from?"
"I am calling you from Microsoft offices."
"And where are they?"
"Microsoft head office at 100 Thames Valley Park Reading."
"What's the weather like in Reading today?"
"It's a bit cloudy. I am calling you about the computer registered to B Bag at Chateau Midden, Barony Arbour, Tyneside. "
"What do you mean registered?"
"Every computer that is sold is registered ma'am."
"Registered by whom?  I've never registered a computer.  Who organises and holds this register?  Are you telling me every computer retailer registers every computer they sell?"
"It might not have been registered by the retailer.  It might have been registered by your husband."
"What makes you think I have a husband?"
And there he was gone.
I'd love to know whether his mother calls him Derek.
Miss Drew  Love your stories Ben
Mrs Bauer Well done, Ben.
Anita Too  Brilliant x x
Dicky Brown  How I wish I could just answer ‘Hold on while I put you through to Ben.’

No comments:

Post a Comment