Monday, 3 August 2026

What's In A Name?

I don’t particularly like my given name, like its common abbreviation even less, and am happy to be called by my surname or whichever nickname friends wish to use.

On the other hand...
There are two people who call me Barbara and have been doing so for so long that I haven’t the heart or courage to correct them.  
One is a learning disabled young person and the other a profoundly physically disabled older person.  
It’s got to the point that I sometimes answer to Barbara in other situations: memorably once in the Job Centre sorting out Ferretfingers’ transition from Disability Living Allowance to Universal Credit.   
Does anybody else have this?   
If so any suggestions?

From Facebook Archives

3 August2019 at 10:03
I have just realised that the only abbreviation of my name that I actually like is B.
Mr Minor  So I guess “Hoy you “ is out then. By the way, you want a few jars?
Bentonbag No thanks, not made any jam so far this year so I have an embarrassment of plenty.
Sandy  I read that as going out for a few bevvies.... shows my level I suppose 😞😞
Mercy Dunn  Not even Benny wenny woo woo?
Bentonbag Only if I can call you Merry werry wah wah.
Honor Bicycle  That's what I call her - Merry werry wah wah and her little family of dun doo dahs.

This is a very popular blog title: see also




 

No comments:

Post a Comment