Monday, 10 August 2026

Flowers By Air

Cliff at Dad's 90th birthday do, 21 July 2006

Cliff and Marion have both passed away, so I’m using their real names.

From Facebook Archives 
10 August 2013 at 10:05
What a lovely surprise.
Roused by postman ringing the doorbell. 
Flowers By Air from my Dad's old workmate Cliff Carter (and Marion).  
Cliff and Dad met in 1958 when Dad left the RAF (after 24 years) and started to work for the Pumpsaint & District Farmers Wholesale Co-operative Society (known as the P&D) in Llanwrda.   
Cliff must have been in his twenties then but had a car and regularly gave Dad a lift home, so I've known him since I was three.  
Dad taught Cliff how to swim in the river Towy at lunchtimes, and Cliff taught Dad how to drive.   
The P&D were lousy employers 
(even by 1950s standards).
Cliff left for a better job managing a Co-op in Llanelli, met and married Marion, and Dad became a postman, but they and the families always kept in touch.
DarkLady  Now I want to know.  Is it your birthday?  Why the flowers came by air?   
Is this stalwart friend Cliff living abroad or still in luvly, luvly Wales?😃 x
Bentonbag  They'd just got my marriage announcement card.  I think they used Flowers by Air because Interflora might not be available.  Cliff and Marion are still living in Llanelli.  
I remember a couple of days before their wedding Mum and Dad took me on a visit to Cliff's mum (probably to take a gift).  The Cake was on the kitchen table and Mrs Carter senior took us in to see "all the little stupids in the icing around the sides"
DarkLady  I love that... 'little stupids'!
That cake sounds Stupendous! šŸ˜‹ x


 

No comments:

Post a Comment