Monday 15 June 2020

Cat Tale #9 Chewing The Fat

The Sainsbury’s herb pot parsley I transplanted into a bigger, well fertilised, pot is doing so well we had parsley sauce with our tea on Friday.

Fester bought a lovely lump of gammon to boil to go with the parsley sauce and mashed potatoes; perfect wet tea time fodder.

Before carving it, he took off the layer of fat and skin and put it to one side. 

We had a brief discussion about whether it should be sliced or minced or just put out into the bird feeder as is for the birds peck to at.

 

The weather was horrible Saturday morning with a thick sea fret only relieved by the occasional rain shower that was so hard it rattled the windows.


Felix cat managed to get Thunderthighs up at 7am to let him out. 

Fester and I had heard him yowling but we’re harder hearted; besides which there is a clean litter tray in the downstairs loo.

It took Teddy cat three attempts to go out.

I was in the office on social media and he mewled pitifully outside until I accompanied him downstairs.
We went to the back door – he backed away and turned around.
We went to the front door – “Bugger me it’s p*ssing down out there too!”
I went back upstairs.
A few minutes later there was actual yowling – and he has to be very agitated to mew.
So back to the back door, whereupon Felix came in and Teddy decided it must be safe to go out, albeit reluctantly.

 

Midmorning, after I’d just finished the days’ washing up and wiping down of the kitchen, I looked around for the gammon fat to prepare for the bird feeder.

It was nowhere to be seen.

Fester came into the kitchen so I asked him where it was; he looked so blank I thought we were having a senior moment.

“What fat?  I don’t know about any fat.”

The fat and skin off the gammon we had for tea yesterday;  we had a discussion about it.

“Oh that fat.  I put it in that black bowl.”

What black bowl?

“That black bowl you’ve just washed up.”

Well there was nothing in it.  It was just sat next to the cooker.

 

We looked at Teddy, who was back in.

 

“I bet he’s had it” says Fester “he’s not beyond a bit of scavenging, nor is the other one.”


So one, or probably both, of the cats had consumed a very large lump of fat overninght.


No wonder they were so desperate to be out in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment