Saturday 6 June 2020

Face Coverings

Bigsister is twelve years older than me.

I remember her being good at needlework (she got a GCE O'level in it).

When I was at primary school she made me shift dresses for the summer and a tartan pinafore dress for the winter.  I have a picture in my mind of her creating paper patterns from the Daily Express (it was a broadsheet in those days).  The dresses were practical and comfortable and I wore them until they wore out or I got too big.

Later on, when I got to be a teenager, she would pass down any clothes she no longer wanted that fit me.  As did Middlesister to be fair.

This may be why I have no problem purchasing most of my wardrobe from charity shops.

So I was pleasantly surprised when she phoned me yesterday and asked me this favour.

 “We’re going to have to wear facemasks on public transport and I saw you’d made some for the boys, I wonder, could you make some for me and the husband.”

As long as she doesn’t mind that they’re made out of recycled (washed and ironed) boxer shorts I’m happy to.

I trotted up to the Post Office with them and for the first time in living memory the woman behind the counter did not ask me what was in the package. 

I was so looking forward to telling her.

No sooner had I got back into the house that it started to hail:  lumps of ice the size of dolly mixtures stotting off the kitchen velux window.  Five minutes later it’s bright sunshine.

Fester has also mentioned face coverings for when he ventures back onto public transport.

 Looking for the material for Bigsister’s masks I came across the legs I’d cut off a pair of viscose trousers last summer to turn them into a pair of shorts.  It’s quite stretchy material.  Doubled over, with some internally stitched elastication (recycled from Ferretfinger's boxers) and he now has two bandana style face coverings.


Happy Birthday Cinders you shall go on the bus!

No comments:

Post a Comment