Thursday 4 June 2020

Gone To Pot #1

I’ve finally worked out why there have been no interesting Facebook Memories posts for the past week or so; we are normally away somewhere for half term at this time of year.  Having nothing amusing to report from home here is another repeat of a blog post of long ago and somewhere else.  It was 17th February 2011 and I’d just read an on-line article (now unavailable) on how drinking loose tea can reduce your environmental impact.


I prefer loose tea: not just because it is more environmentally friendly, but also because I find tea bags too strong for one cup. 

Teabags are a great way of making people buy more tea than they actually need. 
Last weekend, using my mother’s old large pot, I made three cups of tea from one bag. 
As I also feel tea that is not brewed in a pot is an anathema, I have my own little individual teapot, a caddy full of Glengettie
(“Wales’ favourite flavour”)
and a shiny metal tea-strainer and bowl. 
So when I want just one cup that’s all I make.

Over time the strainer gets stained and clogged with tannin, however well I rinse it, so a couple of days ago I decided to clean it properly.  I put the strainer in the big family teapot, threw in a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, filled it to the brim with boiled water, lowered the hinged lid and put it to one side to soak.  After a few hours I came back and emptied and rinsed everything out.  The strainer was lovely and clean and shiny.  So was the inside of the teapot:  except for the bottom (which is to be expected as that is where the most staining is) and the very top inch or so.  I was puzzled as I knew I’d filled it right up.

Then Fester bumbled into the kitchen.

“What did you have in that teapot?” he asked.

“Bicarbonate of soda, I was cleaning the strainer”

“Ah – that explains it.”


Earlier in the day he’d come into the kitchen, found the hot pot and thought “Oh good, she’s made some tea.” 
Got his mug, poured in the brown liquid and attempted to drink it. 
Apparently it had a curious taste.

I don’t think bicarb and tannin would have done him any harm though …

No comments:

Post a Comment