Thursday 18 June 2020

"I know him"

In those halcyon days before this present unpleasantness Ferretfinger’s local authority care package included one day a week at the Rising Sun Farm day centre.  He enjoyed watering the polytunnels and cleaning out the duckponds and other activities.  The Farm’s complex includes a large kitchen and food preparation building where school children could learn exactly where their food came from and how to prepare it.  There is also a fascinating glass sided bee hive – but that’s beside the point.

 

This present unpleasantness has closed the day centre and stopped much of the Rising Sun Farm’s money raising activities.  The managers have been forced to make imaginative use of all their facilities to keep the place going.  

I recently discovered, via Facebook, that they had started Earth & Fire, baking and delivering bread and other baked products.  They have a limited range but the bread is lovely and the prices very reasonable.

 

I order through Facebook Messenger (it can be done by email and other ways as well).  Earth & Fire give me a delivery slot.  At the appropriate time I leave the money in an envelope sticking out of the letterbox.  One of the workers puts the bags of bread on the doorstep, takes the envelope, knocks on the door and retreats to the gate.  We go to the door and pleasantries are exchanged.

 

Yesterday was our second delivery.

"I know him!" shouts the baker, pointing and waving at Ferretfingers who had just appeared behind me.

They shout hello at each other.

 

Similarly the other day; we went into Family Shopper, picked up some stuff and proceeded to the till.

"Hello Ferretfingers" says the assistant.

 

I'm still always slightly surprised when people who don't know me know my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment