Sunday 28 June 2020

Socks Talk

Ferretfingers’ festering leg last week probably wasn’t helped by the fact his socks were too tight and he has to be ‘reminded’ to change them. 

The reminder being me going and taking them out of his shoes when he’s in the bath.  The previous week’s cooler wetter weather wear of long trousers and high socks probably helped us miss how inflamed his wound was getting.

 

I thought getting him some trainer socks might help take the pressure off his ankle and shin, and make his wound easier to inspect.  On the next big shop in Sainsburys I got a pack of 5, size 8-12 white cotton trainer socks.  He tried on a pair, announced they were comfy and has worn a clean pair each day since.

 

I was initially dubious because many years ago his Auntie Bigsister gave him a set of trainer socks with a day of the week worked into each one. 

She hoped that, being autistic, he would appreciate matching the sock to the day and change them accordingly. However, being autistic, he couldn’t (at that time) cope with strange unorthodox socks that didn’t come up to his shin and fold over his ankle.  Also, he wasn’t obsessed with the days of the week.

It must have been when his feet were around size 6, because I ended up putting them in my sock drawer and am wearing Thursday’s today (rebel that I am).

 

Ferretfingers had terrible trouble learning how to put his socks on. 

He didn’t seem to be able to distinguish the back from the front;  so the heel always ended up on the top of his foot. 

I was putting his socks on for him for far longer than I thought appropriate.

Then, one day, in Asda, I spotted them.

Ladies’ socks, black with brightly coloured toes and heels.

What went where was so obvious he grasped the concept right away.

For some considerable time from then on I always got him black socks with coloured toes and heels.

Eventually he moved on to white cotton sports socks and has, mostly, worn them ever since; the right way around.

 

I still have some size 6 black socks with coloured toes and heels in my sock drawer;  but sometimes I have to wear mismatched socks as one half of a pair has worn out and gone to the charity shop rag bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment