Thursday 25 June 2020

Summer Fair Non-confrontation

Facebook post 25 June 2017 at 11:38 ·

Only one sour moment at Treefield School Summer Fair yesterday.

A man of about my age sidled up to the Raffle Table (by the door, none shall pass without buying a ticket) and says through the side of his mouth

"All this stuff donated?"

"Oh yes, people are very generous, we do a lot of begging."

"You wouldn't have to do a lot of begging if we didn't send so much money out of the country."

Dilemma, do I appease or confront him?

Given that this is meant to be a happy fundraising day and I have my PTA hat (or rather tabard) on.

So through gritted teeth I reply

"It wouldn't make a hap'orth of difference."

He has now come round to the side of the table so is facing and sort of within two foot of me.

"You think so? You think it's ok just to have a school budget and that's it?"

I decide.

Look him straight in the eye and say with great firmness and self-control

"I am not having this conversation. I am here to sell raffle tickets."

Deliberately look away from him, and he sloped off, naturally without buying a ticket because that sort of person is great at mouthing off but lousy at putting their hand in their pocket.

Relating this after the fair to other volunteers and teachers one asked "Was he being offensive?"

To which I replied "No. But I was getting close to it."

 

Mrs Poet - they walk amongst us

Lm Johnson There are sadly always going to be at least one daily fail reader wherever you go.
EW Quite right. Not worth the waste of breath on him.
The Treasurer Well done! Just wonder why he came to the fair given his opinions!
Bentonbag I believe he was somebody's grandfather.

***

One a happier note here is a picture of Mrs Bun the brilliant cake maker and me in our Parent Teacher Association committee tabards.  We wore these so we could be readily identified at events and people would know who to ask for information - and who was in charge.
As you can see there is a handy front pocket for pens, glasses, hankies, mobile phone, purse, camera, sweeties, sellotape, bluetac,  raffle tickets, Swiss Army knife, cuddly toy etc etc etc   

No comments:

Post a Comment