Saturday 18 July 2020

Another door shuts

Beware dear reader this story may make you feel emotional.

Stuck doors are nothing new in this house.

As many of you will know, or remember, I was widowed late in the afternoon of 24 September 1992.

Phil had only wanted me at his bedside as cancer took him from us.

When he finally passed away I phoned our brother-in-law who brought his sister Pat and dad Tom (both now sadly deceased) to the hospital to say their goodbyes.  Afterwards Brother-in-law brought us all back here. Pat insisted on staying the night as “you shouldn’t be alone”.  Fortunately the spare beds in the back room were made up and clean.

It was a strange evening phoning family and friends to give them the sad but not unexpected news.  The street filled with cars as close friends came to call, many bringing bottles.  I remember drinking quite a lot but never feeling drunk.  People eventually went home and after midnight Pat went into the kitchen and prepared pasta insisting I should “eat to soak it all up.”

We went to bed but I woke before dawn.
The previous day the hospital had phoned at 05.45 saying
“Please come, he’s so restless, he’s much calmer when you’re here”;
I’d thrown on jogging bottoms and a jumper and gone to him.
Now I drew back the curtain, looked at the grey lightening sky and thought
“This time yesterday he was alive”,
and began to weep.
I heard an “Oh” and movement in the back bedroom;
Pat had heard and was coming to comfort me.
I thought “Oh God No.  Not now.  I want to be alone.”
Then I heard a strange scraping noise, as the door handle and lock spindle came away as she tried to open the door, followed by a plaintive knocking.
There was nothing for it but I had to go and push open the door from the outside.
We looked at each other and the door handle in her hand,
said together “That was Phil!”
and fell onto each other’s shoulders in tears and laughter.


Pat gave me this hebe as a little plant, possibly as a birthday present.
This year it's absolutely covered in blossom and is 'liftin' with bees, both bumble and honey.
The other day one of my neighbours asked what it is, and how long it's been there.
Only twenty years or so. But to be fair I don't think it's ever blossomed quite as spectacularly.
An enduring gift and memory of a lovely lady.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment