Friday 31 July 2020

Married Life

Eli was a postgraduate who Fester helped with fieldwork, research, paper writing and PhD thesis: they did a lot of the work in our home-office. 
He is Jamaican/Canadian/American, one of the most gentlemanly and nicest people it’s been my pleasure to know.  He refuses to call Fester by his first name, it’s always ‘Dr’ , and is the only person allowed to call me by my married name.
Dr Eli is now back in the States.

Here are some facebook posts ...

31 July 2017   Morning Rant

First to Aldi with Thunderthighs. 

Came home and, trying to put the shopping away discovered the chest freezer too full for the bread and crumpets. 

This lead to a foul mouthed rant about "some people picking all those f***ing blackberries and leaving no room for anything else" and having, yet again, to sort out "Rubik's f***ing freezer". 

Slam the lid down several times and retire to the kitchen to do the dishes

(which had caused a rantette first thing because they were all over the place, not stacked).  

At which point Eli comes downstairs to fill Fester's water bottle:  he'd arrived when we were out.
"Hello Mrs Fester, and how's your day going?"

 

31 July 2017   Teatime Talk

Me "Are you going to get your hair cut any time soon?"
Him "No."
"It wasn't a question, it was a hint."
"I know. It sounded more like an order, or a command. Anyway, when are you going to get your hair cut?"
"I'm not."
"There you go then."
"Yes, but I don't look as though I should be sleeping outdoors."

The next day.
Apropos yesterday's chest freezer rant post ...
This teatime I heard rustling, grunting and swearing coming from the chest-freezer (a bit like a foulmouthed hedgehog).
After tea I innocently asked Fester if he’d had a problem finding something.
“Yess!  You’d put the bread buns I use for Thunderthighs’s burgers as far away from the top as possible”
“Good”
“I knew you’d say that, that’s why I didn’t say anything."
“I didn’t do it on purpose”
“You never do”

No comments:

Post a Comment