Sunday 12 July 2020

A Reminder Of Our "Younger Days"

Middlesister recently sent a parcel containing the boys’ birthday gifts and cards.  Their birthdays are roughly a fortnight apart and she likes to be organised.

Between the two gifts and their cards was another envelope; on it was written
‘Thought you would like this as a reminder of our “younger days”’

Inside was this card.

I showed it to Fester

“You’ve got very good handwriting.  How old were you when you made this?”
I’m not honestly sure.  The writing inside is joined up so I must have been over seven because Miss Jones started us on joined up writing in second year infants when we were six.  Possibly somewhere between seven and eleven.
“My handwriting was always awful.”
Didn’t you have proper handwriting lessons?  You know those script books with four lines like a music stave so you could practice getting all the parts of the letters right?
“I can’t remember, probably took no notice.  My handwriting’s ok, except I can’t read it.  Your handwriting is very good though.”
I never think so, mind you I never think anything I do is really good enough;
(big sigh) you never have confidence in your own achievements.
“Oh I do.”
Quelle surprise!

Thunderthighs came in from an errand, heard me cackling and called out “What’s going on up there?”

We didn’t explain.

What impresses me most is that Middlesister, the tidiest and most throw away of us three, has kept this all these decades.

It will go in the treasure box with the letter Grampa wrote when I was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment