Saturday 25 July 2020

Le Tour

I spent the Summer of 1979 working as a kitchen assistant for PGL Adventure Holidays in the Ardeche where I developed a love of the French countryside.  Shortly after Ferretfingers was born Fester introduced me to the joys of Le Tour De France.  Initially it was just the highlights of an evening with James Richardson.  But since we got Virgin cable with Eurosport and ITV4 I have spent most free July afternoons since watching it.  Not wasting time, simply as an accompaniment to ironing or needlework of some sort (honest guv).
This year, of course, has been different.
Here's a facebook post from happier times.

Last weekend I discovered S4C take the Eurosport coverage of the Le Tour De France . So thanks to Virgin I had a happy afternoon watching a race in France with a Welsh commentary.

I realised how rural my home country Wales is when they read a tweet from a viewer who was having to 'get up off the sofa to do the milking' and the commentators had a conversation about how it was a bit early for milking, maybe he milked three times a day and the possibility of him having goats.

You don't get that on ITV4!

Miss O'B Best status of the day!
Bentonbag Another fun thing was translating Welsh similes literally into English. "Mae'n mynd fel cath ar tan" translates as "He's going like a cat on fire".

It was bad enough when he just tried to catch the mouse ....
Drummerman Well, cleanliness is next to godliness...
Mrs Melodeon They just don't care!

No comments:

Post a Comment