Thursday 2 July 2020

Cheering up

I wasn’t feeling too well yesterday, possibly the cold and wet and the general present unpleasantness getting on top of me.  Even doing the big shop in Tesco with Thunderthighs, and a walk out with Ferretfingers to the Post Office and the long way home, didn’t improve matters.  In fact I felt so rotten I put on a recorded radio play and had a little lie down on the chaise longue under a blanket knitted by Mrs Quilt.

I'd managed somehow to turn off the answering machine so when the phone rang twice and I didn’t answer it there was no message left.  I though it was those mechanised cold calls that say nothing until they heard a voice.        However, in the evening I received a text from Emil, Ferretfingers’ outreach worker from LD:NorthEast.

“Hi, hope you are all well.  Trying to call you on your home number but couldn’t get through.  Apparently I’m down to come to take David out tomorrow morning.  Will that be okay?  We might go for a medium to long walk if David is up for it.”

So I immediately called him from the landline and said Yes please and we talked about when he’d come and where they might walk.

I was so delighted I immediately came upstairs and made a facebook announcement.

Doing so I noticed that OldestBestFriends name was up and had a little green spot next to it.  Which meant for once we were both on facebook at the same time; an exceedingly rare occurrence.  So I clicked on the little video camera icon in messenger and yes! We were able to see and speak to each other for the first time in I don’t know when.

OBF and I talked and laughed until her phone battery ran out …

Afterwards I went into the bedroom where Fester was watching tv and said     "I’ve managed to facetime OBF, we talked for … oh I don’t know how long …”     “An absolute bloody lifetime” came the reply.

Considering we started when we were about four years old then, in a way, he was right.

I felt much better.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment