Friday 27 November 2020

The Patience of Whom?

From Facebook archives - I particularly like how this thread wanders off into the literary ...

27 November 2012 at 16:56

According to the slightly camp bald till assistant in Tesco Extra I have 

'the patience of Jude'.   

This was after I'd picked up the third thing Ferretfingers dropped on the floor whilst paying for The Radio Times and TV Times, including a tenner and the receipt.
He wouldn't have said that if he'd heard me screaming at them on Sunday morning because they couldn't find his hat so I had to break off from cleaning my teeth to get it!

The Squireen  Maybe you need to scream at them more often

Bentonbag  I value my larynx too much
Drummerman  The larynx is indeed a rare and valuable species of wild cat
Gobiron  Wow - your shop assistant knows how to deliver 'em.   
It was Job who was patient.  Jude is the patron saint of lost causes... just sayin'
Bentonbag - Drummerman  Not unlike myself ;)
Bentonbag - Gobiron  He is also fairly obscure :)
Drummerman  I do like these old jokes - the Hardy annuals
Dulcima  I hate Thomas Hardy.  He was so bloody miserable.  I did Tess of the D'Urbevilles for OU - Hardy said she was one of his favourite characters, and he had her hanged.  She never got an even break throughout the whole novel.  I dread to think what he would do to someone he didn't like.
Bentonbag  I feel much the same about DH Lawrence.  We did Sons & Lovers for A level and what a miserable self-centred snobby self-abuser the main character is.   
And don't be fooled by the furore around Lady Chatterley's Lover; she was a silly little bat who needed to get her act together; and there's pages and pages where he goes on and on about phalluses and how fantastic they are - tedious drivel.
Dulcima  Totally agree about DH Lawrence. The same course had a short story by him, which I read & hated.  That put me off reading anything else by him.  He gave the impression of being a misogynist git.

No comments:

Post a Comment