Wednesday 25 November 2020

When Fester's Away #2 Druridge Bay

Not from Facebook but from a letter to my friend Paula (RiP) about Saturday 25th November 2018.  I used to write to her regularly in lieu of the chats over coffee we would have had if we’d lived closer to each other.  She liked to hear about the boys.

Today, Saturday, I took them up to Druridge Bay Country Park and showed them where I’d slept, the dark dawn route to the beach and where the North East Skinny Dip took place.    

Before leaving home I told Ferretfingers to put his wellies on and put mine on too.   

Thunderthighs insisted on wearing his boots: laced ones.   
As we ambled into the sea there was a curse from behind. 
Then a “You should have told me to wear my gardening boots.”    
(Rigger boots)
I suggested that as he’d seen me put mine on, and heard me telling his brother to, he might have had the wit to decide to do it himself.   
He was quite philosophical about it really, and a sausage sandwich in the Drift Café cheered him up no end.   
 
Then we drove to our ‘usual’ bit and did some beachcombing.   
We got some wood but the amount of plastic of all sorts was horrifying.   
But we saw at least another couple of people picking it up and there seemed to be a dumping place near the path where people are putting what they’ve picked up (at least it was all covered in sand).   Hopefully someone will come and take it away.   

There must have been some awful storms at sea because I’ve never seen so much kelp on the beach.   Lots of dead sea creatures too, some unidentifiable, and one dead rabbit.  

I’ve never seen that before.  
I assume it was drowned in the floods and washed down to the sea with the bits of straw and baler twine.

When I got out of the car at home I spotted these cowslips in full bloom by the drive.


No comments:

Post a Comment