Saturday 26 December 2020

A Different Boxing Day

As I’ve mentioned before, this is the first year in decades that I’ve not been one of the organisers of Woodlawn School’s Xmas Pudding Fun Run.   
For the first time since 1997 the    Rt Hon Sir Alan Campbell MP and I have been able to have a lie in on Boxing Day morning (in separate households I hasten to add).

Each Boxing Day morning I’ve driven down to the coast fearful that no one would turn up.
As I neared the sea front my heart was lifted at the sight of the odd runner warming up; sometimes even wearing a Start Fitness run-number.
As I reached the Spanish City and saw hordes of runners and supporters, my heart would start to sing.
Then I would go into full PR mode, start schmoozing our local MP and starter, seeking out any press photographers and trying to catch the first runners across the line for a picture with the RT Hon Sir Alan Campbell. 
 
The number of runners has doubled in the past decade; last year over 1500 people took part.

Since 2017 Thunderthighs has come with me down to the coast and done the Run.

It was becoming part of our tradition.
We couldn’t stay in today.
Also, one of his old teachers, the Henlady has been keeping her flock indoors for the past month, due to birdflu, and we had two artisanal baker’s bags full of newspapers for her.   So Thunderthighs and I took the papers to Hendlady’s house, left them in the porch, and took the old coast road down towards Tynemouth.  Then up along the coast to Cullercoats, Whitley Bay and finally the carpark for St Mary’s Lighthouse.

There were an amazing number of people out walking along the coast and beaches.  Every third family seemed to have a dog.  I’ve seen it less crowded on summer weekdays.  Sadly there appeared to be far too few facemasks and no noticeable social distancing in the queues for chips and ice-creams.

I parked and we walked to the start of the causeway to St Mary’s island, but it was covered.  Even though the tide was going out the wind was far too keen and mean to wait until we could walk over, so I went back to the car and Thunderthighs to the burger van.

From inside the car I could see a big black rock on the island.   

I thought “That’s looks for all the world like a seal, but it’s far too big.”   
Then it moved its head and did that banana thing.  
Herring gulls, kittiwakes, lapwings, starlings, gulls and knots wheeled and called overhead and around us; some landed in the forlorn hope of finding thrown away food. 
The passenger door opened and Thunderthighs got in with a 
“I’ve got you a cup of coffee to dunk your doughnuts in; there’s three each.”
I hadn’t asked for anything, so my heart was warmed; and my hands as I held onto the coffee until he’d finished his hotdog and chips.
 

Rt Hon Sir Alan Campbell MP starting the 2017 Woodlawn Xmas Pudding Fun Run

No comments:

Post a Comment