Thursday 31 December 2020

Emojigate

I didn’t blog about it at the time as there was too much else going on, but I suspect it was social-media-wise the biggest thing that happened to me this year. 

For years as a public relations consultant you work and work to get clients on the tv and radio, then one slip on Twitter and …

From Facebook

So this is the sort of evening I've had:
I wanted to check that the garden bin collection was happening before I got Thunderthighs to put the bin out.  So I tweeted

@CouncilTeam - Just checking - is the garden bin collection back as normal?

@Bentonbag - Yes Ben. It is.

 

So I thought I would thank them and tweeted an emoji – only they’re so small in those little box menus ...
I got the reply

@Bentonbag - Just checking Ben... Is that the emoji you wanted to send?

@CouncilTeam - It was meant to be a thumbs up, but I may have the wrong glasses on - sorry if it was offensive.

@Bentonbag - It's fine Ben. Best laugh I've had all day.

@Council Team - Oh my goodness I've just had another proper look - really sorry

@Bentonbag - 😂😂😂Seriously Ben don't worry about it. You've brought tears to my eyes. 

After a weird couple of weeks, it's good to laugh.💝

 

Yes – I accidentally flipped the bird to our local Council’s official tweeter.

As if the poor soul hasn’t had enough to put up with the past couple of weeks.

 

Apparently a lot of other followers of NTyneside Council have had a good laugh too.

 

Mrs Jeremy It's the best laugh we've had all day as well,! 😜👏🤣At least the poor guy saw the funny side! 👍😂
Ms Exlibris I'm a Collabro fan and Jamie from Collabro has tweeted about this and got a thread going. I've commented so you may see it. #rudemediatart
Mr Earth Brilliant, second laugh out loud today and it's not even nine o clock🤣
Mr Strawangel Top class! 🤪
Miss  OB The comments on Twitter are killing me 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Ms Exlibris You're going viral on twitter!
Bentonbag Thanks to this, and Ms Exlibris' mate @JamieCollabro, I've gone from 230 to 333 twitter followers in a day! Fester says people have far too much time on their hands. #mediatart
Ms Exlibris  Wish he was my mate!   Although his mum liked one of my tweets so I'm close 😆
Ms Birthdaysuit Someone else just sent me this, so after killing myself laughing this morning, looks like you about to go viral!!
Ms Treasurer Oh Ben this has made my day! My brother-in-law has just sent me the tweet from Wales (and he didn’t know I knew you!) x

As the twitterati amongst you will know, it went viral with 666,000 views, I got over five hundred new followers within a few days and currently have 776.

Local friends reported that their ex-pat friends in Australia (and elsewhere) had messaged them with “You live in North Tyneside, did you see this?” and they joyfully replied “Yes, I know her!”
It appeared on Have I Got News For You, national and local radio and North Tyneside’s Official Tweeter and I were interviewed together and separately on local radio.
Eight months later it’s still getting the occasional ‘like’.

A few weeks ago I got this private message on Twitter

Dec 14, 2020, 10:56 AM

Hi Ben. I had a creative hour over the weekend making my friends and family some online cards and thought you might appreciate this. Happy Christmas, love K.

Dec 14, 2020, 11:40 AM

Laughing until the tears run down my legs! I'm nicking it. Feel free to share everywhere. Have a great Christmas. love Ben

Dec 14, 2020, 12:10 PM

I can't share it Ben. I'd get into trouble for flipping the bird on a council account but I made it especially so you could share it / use it, however you liked.

Here is K's card, which pretty much sums up this year.

And, yes, I shall be tweeting it. 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment