Friday 18 December 2020

Say That Again

Some years ago Bigsister asked if I could help with something for her mother-in-law, who had become aged and infirm and felt the cold badly in her arthritic knees.  Mother-in-law didn’t want a knee blanket because she feared tripping over it getting up from her chair, and she didn’t want to look like an old lady.

Fortunately I have a very old knitting pattern book (so old they are called ‘recipes’ not patterns) and in there I found two knitted knee cap patterns.;  within a week a pair of fluffy pink knee caps were in the post.

When our Asian post-mistress asked “What’s in the package?”    (I hate being asked what I'm posting) I was delighted to reply 

“A pair of knitted knee caps for my sister’s mother-in-law.”   
Admirably she didn’t bat an eyelid.

 

In a phone call a couple of weeks ago Bigsister mentioned that her husband was ‘going the same way as his mother and suffering with his knees’, and could I help.  
I no longer have any Angora type yarn in a suitable manly colour but I do have a huge ball of black ‘Aran’ which I use for edging blankets.
Writing the Christmas cards and letters has slowed me down but yesterday afternoon I finally finished the knee-caps.   
I’ve started to keep a record of my bits of needlework to share on Facebook (and elsewhere).  
Black is not an easy colour to photograph.  
As it was getting dark I put a pale coloured cushion on a chair near the living-room light, laid the knee caps on it to get a good contrasting background, and took the photo.

Later, watching Pointless, Thunderthighs asked “Mu-um, why have you put a cushion on this rocking chair?”

“Because I wanted to take a photo of the knee caps.”
Fester burst out laughing.
“What’s wrong?” I asked “It’s perfectly true.”
“It’s also one of the most surreal things that’s ever been said in this house.”

Seemed a perfectly reasonable reply to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment