Saturday 19 December 2020

Sentimentality & Dust

From Facebook archives.

19 December 2016 at 09:46 ·

Opening the Nineteenth window of the Advent Calendar.  
To do list down to 8 items.  
The tree is up and resting before decorating today.  
In order to put up the tree the corner it was to go in had to be sorted. 
So I took the opportunity to move the amp, tuner, cd player and record deck that was Phil’s music system as the amp hasn’t worked properly for years and we now have a new compact sound centre that does all that plus mp3 and cassette playing. 
This involved hoovering places that haven’t seen the light of day in years, removing and rewiring plugs, and the unearthing of various treasures. 
I left the old speakers where they were, and if you know anyone who could use a pair of Wharfdales, or a really good record deck that needs its plug back on, or any of the rest, let me know and they can have them once the tree is down.    
On my knees, half in the alcove, under a shelf and up to my nose in dust and wires I suddenly thought
 “You know what it is; Phil would have replaced this system twice by now had he lived”.   
Which blew away any feelings of sentimentality.   
That and the fact he was an ‘all the cables down the back out of sight’ man which makes moving stuff that much more awkward.  
The new sound centre had been waiting in its box a good few months so the sense of satisfaction was quite big.
 
 
My first husband Phil died of cancer in 1992, I've stayed in our house.
A good home was found for all the items mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment