Friday 26 March 2021

Metaphorically Speaking ...

 From Facebook archives

No relevance, just a nice photo

26 March 2013 at 20:11  

On the phone to my sister I just heard myself saying 

"... there was a lot of milking of the golden goose going on."

Fay  Eh?
Bentonbag  As my boss once said of our MD 
"He doesn't so much mix metaphors as liquidise them"
Such statements became known as Howardisms. 
My boss would excuse himself in meetings so he could come and tell me the latest while it was fresh in his mind.   
We collected them and, when I resigned, I typed them up, photocopied them and distributed them amongst friendly copywriters at the agency.  I may still have the sheet in an old scrap book.  (For the children: there were no computers, email or tweets in those days - the photocopier was king!)
Mrs Telyn  My mum once said in annoyance 
“I can hear every word you're saying - I have ears like a hawk” ..... how my brother and I laughed.
Bentonbag On a trip, when Ferretfingers was in nursery school, I heard one of the minders say to a well-known misbehaving child "Well you've blown your goose now".
Fay  I once said (of someone we both know) "He needs to pull his socks together".

No comments:

Post a Comment