Friday 19 March 2021

The Awkward Squad

From Facebook Archives

19 March 2012 at 09:50 ·

Should have posted this last week ...

Last Thursday I went to a carers' meeting with our local council officers about Adult Social Services, with the Learning Disabilities Federation's Chief Officer.   

As usual she (an ex-councillor) piped up with awkward questions and suggestions.   

I asked a very pointed question about the continued involvement of A4e in 'personalisation' and handling vulnerable adults 'Personal Budgets'; saying I didn't want my son to have any involvement at all with such a disreputable organisation of whom 

I had heard no good from anyone, ever (we're told their contract is coming to an end).

At the end of the meeting an elderly parent/carer came up to LDF’s CO and said 

"Ee thank you pet for speaking up for us, you always do" 
then turned and patted my shoulder saying 
"And you too pet - I've heard your voice in meetings before."
I think Mother would have been proud, but I felt a moment of mortification!
I suspect I have become a member of the awkward squad...

GB  Wear your "Awkward Squad" membership with pride!  A4e couldn't have got away with it for so long if more people had asked those awkward questions!

TyleBach  Nothing wrong with awkward squad; they are vulnerable adults and it is our duty...well done!!!
Mr Mull  Well done Ben.  Being 'awkward' on behalf of others is not anything to be mortified about but should, as GB says, be a matter of pride. Yes, your Mum would have been proud!
Ms Exlibris Ditto all of those comments! Awkward gets results and demands change!
JS  You and me both Ben!


My son, the one I am awkward for.

No comments:

Post a Comment