Friday 9 April 2021

Hurty Head

2012 was our annus horribilis:  three close family deaths, including one sudden and intestate; a hoarding family home to clear and sort out; health scares; loft extension; schools flooded and life.  I was still feeling fairly wound up in early 2013 when we had a self-catering holiday in Wales which wasn’t particularly relaxing, for me at least.

Joining a motorway on the drive back I turned my head sharply double checking my blind-spot for oncoming vehicles and felt a tiny exquisite pain in the back of my neck.   
It lasted a moment and I forgot about it.

The next day, a Sunday, I got a horrible pain in the top of my head.  It wasn’t a head ache.   It felt as if I’d been hit with a pickaxe handle.  The only way to stop it was to lie down flat. A few minutes upright and it came back.  This was particularly frustrating as there was post-holiday laundry to be done and stuff to be unpacked and sorted.

The paracetamol resistant pain persisted well into Monday when I finally gave in, rang my GP surgery and managed to get the last appointment of the day.

The young lady GP listened, examined me and said 
“You’ve probably pulled something in your neck but with that level of pain there’s a very small chance you’ve had a bleed on the brain, so I’m going to refer you to the RVI.”
“Oh” says I “When?”
“Immediately.  Now, would you like me to arrange transport or would you like to drive yourself?”
Somewhat stunned I replied “Well, if I have had a bleed on the brain I don’t think driving myself is a good idea.  Is it ok if I go home, get an overnight bag, and take a taxi?”

From Facebook archives

9 April 2013 at 15:50 ·

Savouring the sensation of not being in pain

Grateful to the NHS and RVI for finding a painkiller to get rid of a headache that lasted 2 days getting continually worse.  Spent last night in their assessment unit having tests and blood taken, and have to go back for a scan in outpatients sometime soon.
But not having a hurty head makes life liveable.
 
10 April 2013
Hurty head almost under control thanks to painkillers, but I could do without feeling quite as woozy and dry-mouthed - no way I'm driving to Tesco and we're out of catfood - also clean socks and ironed underwear ... 

22 May 2013 at 19:20 ·

I have "a perfectly normal brain"
I know!  I'm as surprised as the rest of you.
My bloods etc are normal too.
Strawangel  Good good!! Fingers crossed it was the mother of all migraines๐Ÿ˜•
Bentonbag  I think it was a combination of stress, mental/physical/emotional exhaustion, sleeping in a strange bed for a week, driving 300 miles and doing something to the muscles/nerves in my neck.
Strawangel  Well there you go. I'm so pleased it was 'normal' ๐Ÿ˜‰. X
Bentonbag  More than can be said for the rest of me .....
Strawangel  Same here ....... I keep kidding myself I only look 30 ๐Ÿ˜‰ 
Bentonbag  Taking your glasses off before looking in the mirror will do that for you ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mrs Jeremy  Glad everything's ok Ben!
FifiD  I have the same!!!! Who would believe it!! Take care xxx
Bentonbag  Runs in the family like a wooden leg - as your greatauntieElsie used to say
Mr Melodeon  Glad you are ok.
Tylebach  good news te! xxx
Henlady  So pleased for you xx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment