Thursday 15 April 2021

Tadpoles & Ducks

 From Facebook Archives

16 April 2019 at 18:36
We have tadpoles
Mr Monkshood You can get an ointment for it.
Mrs Leftfoot We don't.  Or if we do they are hiding.  Disappointing.
Bentonbag Give them time.   
Did you have frogspawn?
Mrs Leftfoot I couldn't see any. We did last year.
Mrs Bun Hurrah xxx                 
Sandy Worried the ducks are going to eat ours (the pond's the size of a dining table and we've got bliddy DUCKS)
McChurch Wish I had ducks.  Very partial to a spot of mallard, me.
Sandy We've contemplated placing oranges strategically as a deterrent
Bentonbag When I was a kitchen assistant at PGL Adventure Holidays' canoe centre in the Ardeche we had a pet drake called Al.  Teachers leading school-groups were always horrified when we told them it was short for Duck A L’Orange.
MrsPH Wonderful. Must not let another year go by without a pond or water feature. So good for all the creatures.
Mrs Quilt  Not sure whether to cadge a few this year. I think I may wait and see whether the 8 frogs in a row of last year reproduce this year! How long does the spawn last before it morphs into tadpoles, whoops just realised they have already!
Bentonbag  I think it depends on temperature as well as time.  The blob I put in frogpond#2 has come to nothing (so far) but it is a lot more shaded and cool.   
Our spawn always sinks into the detritus at the bottom of the pond so I despair then, suddenly, they're there. They're growing like marrows at the moment and are about 3 times as big as on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment