Monday 26 April 2021

Meme Memory


This meme I spotted on Facebook the other day reminded me of something that happened when Dr E, Ms Eft and I were undergraduates. 

We were all members of Cathsoc and would regularly attend weekday Masses in the Chaplaincy.  These were celebrated in the little chapel, which had a dozen or so small pews in rows with a central aisle.

I went in one Monday teatime and saw Ms Eft with Dr E (or Student Dr E as she was then) sitting in the pew behind her.  SDrE and I were flatmates so I chose to sit next to Ms Eft whilst we waited in prayerful silence for Fr Bob to come in.

SDrE knelt, leant forward and whispered in my ear “What’s wrong with me then?”

I thought for a moment then leant back and whispered hoarsely “You smell.”

She started giggling; so much so I could feel the pew shaking, which started me off too.

In the end she got up and rushed out of the chapel.
I followed shortly after and we howled with laughter in the front hall.

We recovered our composure and went back in, where Ms Eft gave us a wide eyed look of admonishment which very nearly started us off again.

 

That was over four decades ago and, if our covens are anything to go by, little has changed.  

I still set DrE off and Ms Eft still gives us looks, and sometimes words, of admonishment.  
Two years ago, as we were about to leave Paula's funeral, Ms Eft looked at my soggy little cotton handky and said  "For goodness sake Bag, couldn't you have brought something better than that raggy thing?"

No comments:

Post a Comment