Monday 12 April 2021

They Know You Know ...

... or the innate hostility of inanimate objects

As there nothing at all in the Facebook archives for today, I’m again mining my old Journal morris dancer’s blog:  this was the 22nd first published in February 2008.

They Know You Know

This weekend, being the start of half term, we are due to drive down to the land of my fathers for the week.  The day before yesterday I tried to start my ten year old Skoda Felicia but was unable to get the key in the ignition.  The kindly AA man (god bless them) told me the steering/ignition lock had fallen in on itself, it was due to old age, he’d seen it before and he’d try to get the key in and get it started for me.   

With WD40 and a picklock he succeeded in pushing the tumblers into place and inserting the key.
“My goodness” he said when the engine was finally running “I’ve tried that a few times before but never got it to work.  Now take it to the garage and, whatever you do, don’t take the key out of the ignition.”

The car is now in a garage in North Jesmond awaiting news of a part from Germany (probably); and once again we’ve had to hire a car to go to Wales.  With the cottage booked and children excited, and Fester to get to the farm most days, there’s nothing else for it.  The same thing happened two years ago: the day before we were due to go the clutch went half way around the Coast Road roundabout.

Before hiring the car (a Clio so sophisticated it terrifies me) I emailed the Squireen to let her know, and to hint for a lift to practice.

“Hi Squire

The car is in dock again so I'll probably have to get a bus to practice on Thursday.
I had the AA out for the fan belt last week - snapped half way to the farm.  At least they're earning their rescue and Homestart money this year.
Do you think it knows when we're due to go to Wales?
Bentonbag”

Her reply was

“Of course it does.  It's just lazy.  Text me tomorrow I may be able to give you a lift if mine behaves its self, it was making funny noises on Silverlink roundabout today”
 

I couldn't find a photo of "Mummy's Red Car" so here is one of it's replacement "Mummy's Big Blue Car", also known as the Blue Frog, the Fiat Multipla I loved and kept for another decade, until the list of recommendations on the MOT report ran over two pages. 
In our early years together he broke down in spectacular fashion and interesting places.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment