Thursday 29 April 2021

May Day


Tomorrow is May Day and for the another year there will be no Dancing at Dawn, unless some illicit rogue Morris dancers are willing to risk Covid and the police.

30 April 2010 at 11:43 ·

I've just been interviewed by BBC Radio Newcastle about Dancing at Dawn - 
and they rang me!   
I haven't issued a press release so I must be in someone's contacts book.  
"Is that Bentonbag?  Are you still involved in dancing on the Moor on MayDay?"  
Only a short piece probably being broadcast tomorrow, after we've danced.  
Strangely enough the woman didn't want to get up and do a piece from The Moor.

This caused the Squireen, who never did The Moor, to say 

"Turned on the radio this morning and there you were – again!”

In 2013 I retired from active clog morris dancing.

30 April 2015 at 09:53

Now there's a thing!

I've just had a 'phonecall from BBC Radio Newcastle asking about dancing at dawn on Town Moor. 

I'm obviously on someone's contacts list.

The young man asked the question "But why do they dance so early?"

To which the only reply could be "Because that's when the sun comes up"

Mrs Leftfoot  You see! I said we should...

 

For more about May Day see last year’s blog May Day Memories.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment