Friday 17 December 2021

Comforting Dream

Me and Dad, 1964?

The family home in Wales was a bungalow built in the nineteen twenties, before the area had mains water or electricity.  It grew organically and slightly eccentrically as family needs changed and utilities became available.  When we moved in after Dad retired from the RAF in 1958 it was separated so both sides of the family had their privacy and independence, combined with the security of knowing there was always someone near.  An early form of granny-flat.

Granma and Grampa had the South facing front door and hall, and the front room with their bedroom and ‘scullery’ leading off it.  An internal door separated the hall from the passage to our three bedrooms and living room, which lead through to the kitchen and bathroom. 

We always used the North facing back door.  Coming in through the back door, the living room door was on the left, straight ahead the door to the toilet with the pantry door to the right.  If all these doors were shut there was no natural light, so at night it was pitch black.

Dad went to his final rest in April 2011.

As I’ve mentioned before 2012 was our Annus Horribilis and by the end of the year I was on my knees; emotionally, spiritually and mentally exhausted.

From Facebook archives …

17 December 2012 at 22:06

Just before waking this morning I dreamed about my Dad.

I was standing about to go into the living room at home in Wales. 

It was pitch dark but I knew all I had to do was stretch my hand out and turn the door handle and I’d be in that room full of warmth, light and love.

I sensed Dad just behind my right shoulder.

He said, as clear as day, "The Lord is my Shepherd”

I joined in with him saying “there is nothing I shall want."

And I woke up quite happy.

So I wonder what he was trying to tell me.

Or, perhaps, what my subconscious is trying to tell me.

Hagrid  Aww that's nice. I had a very lucid dream about my Grandad a while back, and can remember every detail when I normally forget my dreams. X

Bess Cavalier  That all will be well?  In some respects it reminds me of Dame Julian of Norwich's prayer "All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well".

1991? 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment